– Top 10 Dishes of the Month: From SF to Oakland, I’m getting excited about veal sweetbread tacos, a katsu-drowned fried chicken torta and miso peach sticky buns, to name a few.
– The Top 10 Spirits Releases of the Summer: There are new whiskies, rums, agricole, vermouths, gin and even cinnamon liqueur to please a range of palates.
– High-Tech, Cash-Less, Healthy, Cheap Fast Food? Enter eatsa. Read more →
August was quite a month for notable new openings from Oakland to SF, including restaurants like The Keystone in the Mosser Hotel (my Zagat feature on the opening here). I also visited months-old spots, like the solid-though-not-overwhelming Buttermilk Southern Kitchen, or savored old school torta comfort (a steal with massive tortas) at Tortas Boos Voni. On the cheap eats front,… Read more →
Almost daily, I’m tasting a wide range of spirits, wines and beers, whether at restaurants and bars, distilleries, wineries or breweries or as samples crossing my desk. Over the past few months, there have been many new spirits releases, including these spring and winter releases since the year began. I’ve been having fun experimenting with cocktails with recently released Cent-Anni… Read more →
High-tech meets fast food with healthy ingredients… and it’s cheap? Enter eatsa, the first location (watch for LA to open in September) of a new fast food restaurant opening today, August 31st, near San Francisco’s Embarcadero in the Rincon Center. Co-founders Scott Drummond and Tim Young are corralling technology to keep prices down (they expect the food to be even lower-priced in… Read more →
– Top 7 Cocktails of the Month: From agave and mezcal delights to mushroom-infused sippers, the 7 most interesting cocktails now.
– The Latest: Denver Edition – Talking new restaurants, food halls, cocktails and coffee in Denver. Read more →
From mid-July to mid-August, here are the standout cocktails and new menus I’ve been tasting around the Bay Area. 1. Calavera’s Princesa de la Maracuya Just opened in Oakland on August 7th (more on the opening in my Zagat feature), Calavera exudes big city-cool in its lofty dining room, bar and open air porch, serving sophisticated Mexican food and a… Read more →
As I went to Aspen Food & Wine this June, I also spent a few days while in Colorado in Denver with my brother and sister-in-law, catching up on the latest in a city I’ve been talking about it for years when it comes to their ever-growing food and drink scene. I fueled up with excellent coffee at Little Owl… Read more →
– Top 10 Dishes of the Month: Omakase sushi menus to transport you to Japan, Filipino and Scandinavian food, and more.
– 24 Hours in LA: Seafood delights in Manhattan Beach & cocktail-ing in West Hollywood.
– Cheap Eats & Sushi Treasures in OC: 6 food gems in North OC. Read more →
In addition to plates from the Mugaritz chef from Spain cooking at Coi for one night only, here are my top 10 July dishes and new openings, some newcomers, some established spots. 1. Omakase’s Omakase Just open in June, Omakase is another in that blessedly growing category of Japan-esque sushi experiences in SF: tasting menus prepared with reverent precision, heavy… Read more →
A quick overnight for a U2 show (a girlhood favorite) provided one shot to eat and drink in LA for the night. While that’s always a tough call when my go-to list is continuously long, I decided to forgo the barbecue and hole-in-the-wall favorites I’ve already been to in sketchy Inglewood surrounding the Forum to check out one of the… Read more →