During my fall return to New York City, which was my shining beacon across the Hudson during my teen years in New Jersey, I stayed with my lifelong best friend who lives on the Upper East Side/Yorkville and caught up on plenty of new – and a few older – bars, restaurants, coffee shops and food markets, like the new… Read more →
— Top 10 Dishes & New Openings of December: Whether herring interpretations that journey across Scandinavia or mom’s coconut mochi, here are 10 standout dishes on menus now.
– Top 10 Cocktails of the Month: From a hot toddy influenced by Thai soup to pork fat-infused mezcal and Cynar, here’s the top drinks on SF menus now.
– Where to Drink in NYC: 10 bar greats & best openings of 2015. Read more →
It’s been another month of excellent food from the 10 plus meals I eat out a week, ever hunting for the best. I’ve been enjoying bahn mi sandwiches and Vietnamese coffee in the sunny, new-ish Soapox Cafe on Russian Hill, while I have mixed feelings about VeganBurg, a Singapore vegan burger spot that just opened its first US location in… Read more →
From mid-November to mid-December, here are the 10 standout cocktails and new menus I’ve been tasting around the Bay Area. 1 & 2. El Capitan’s Port of Call & Maximon Recently returning to El Capitan (festive on a Friday night with Christmas lights and a convivial crowd), the food is better than ever, from silky crudo to fry bread tacos.… Read more →
I wrote this article for Food Republic, originally published December 10, 2015. Article and all photos are by Virginia Miller. The holiday season is here, and you need a drink. Perhaps several. Maybe it’s the stress of travel, visiting family members, gift shopping or a heavy end-of-the-year workload. Or you’re just seeking warmth and a break from the winter cold. You… Read more →
– Top 3 Dishes & New Openings of the Month: From Italian dishes to Spanish paella, what’s new and delicious in SF now.
– Top 10 Food & Drink Books of 2015: In time for holiday gifts, some of the best cookbooks and cocktail/spirits books released this year.
– 5 Things to Love About Texas Hill Country: Retreating in the Texas countryside with bourbon, wineries, BBQ and German history. Read more →
It’s been a month of intense travel — Paris to Cognac, then on to Charleston (more on all those trips in coming months). And with the holidays, it’s been about returns to old favorites and comforting meals with family at places like Boxing Room, B Star and Belga. Here are my top 3 November dishes and new openings, some from… Read more →
The holidays swiftly approach and in my annual round-up of book releases of the year (past years here), I’ve dug into recipes and relished stories from a range of books, whether cooking bright citrus beauties in Citrus by Valerie Aikman-Smith and Victoria Pearson, perusing the austere loveliness of Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking by Naoko Takei Moore and… Read more →
A warm welcome, oppressive summer heat, animals skipping across remote dirt roads, heavy German influence and old world architecture, BBQ, wineries and whiskey… just a few of the adventures had in Texas’ wild Hill Country. The Renaissance Man and I took a road trip this August, stayed in one of only two guest rooms at the utterly remote, retreat-like, peaceful… Read more →
– Top 6 Cocktails of the Month: From an all sherry cocktail menu to clarified elegance, here’s the best of what I’ve been tasting lately.
– Top 10 Houston Bars
– 10 Top Places to Eat in Houston
— Top 5 Whiskies at Whiskyfest SF 2015 Read more →